Today while trying to backup my iPhone in order to unlock it I noticed that Rhythmbox was not recognizing my device. It was showing up in the file manager but when I clicked on it I was getting a message telling me "Unable to mount iPhone - Unhandled Lockdown Error (-5)" This all seemed strange since I had just imported all my photos using Shotwell.
Typing dmesg shows
- [ 9512.221544] usb 2-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 7 using ehci_hcd
- [ 9512.311581] usb 2-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=05ac, idProduct=1297
- [ 9512.311591] usb 2-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
- [ 9512.311598] usb 2-1.2: Product: iPhone
- [ 9512.311602] usb 2-1.2: Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
- [ 9512.311606] usb 2-1.2: SerialNumber: 12z78dont23fayou1923wish17jh2342
- [ 9512.514892] ipheth 2-1.2:4.2: Apple iPhone USB Ethernet device attached
- [ 9512.611724] atl1c 0000:04:00.0: vpd r/w failed. This is likely a firmware bug on this device. Contact the card vendor for a firmware update.
- [ 9512.652487] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
- [ 9514.027984] iphone-set-info: segfault at 0 ip 0000003077b06720 sp 00007fff7f8b1648 error 4 in libc-2.15.so[3077a00000+1ac000]
Searching for the atl1c vpd r/w failed firmware complaint and the iphone-set-info segfault seemed to lead me nowhere fast. Fast forward a day later and I found a ubuntu post on iPhone lockdown error - Turns out there is a bug in the pairing and unpairing of iOs5 devices. To fix is as simple as:
$ sudo yum install libimobiledevice-utils $ idevicepair unpair && idevicepair pair